Dell Servers and FreeBSD

falz me at falz.net
Wed Sep 26 10:05:27 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Tim Kellers <timothyk at wallnet.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with any of the newer
> Dell servers (2900, 2950 for example) and FreeBSD 6.2 in a production
> environment?
>
> My old Dell 2400 hardware is quickly expiring and I need to replace it
> with something that will support FreeBSD 6.2 and have enough horsepower
> to host a substantial (50 or so) number of concurrent Moodle logins.
> The database (pgsql) is already on another server so I won't be chewing
> up server resources by hosting a database, too.

We have many many 2950, 1950, 860, etc servers running FreeBSD. 6.2
without issue. Many of which are in a fairly taxing environment
(webmail cluster with 25k users), as well as other purposes.

I've only run across one issue, and it was on an earlier one. This was
related more to the raid controller than anything, and required some
'camcontrol' setting to be changed:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-February/033071.html

However, I wouldnt worry about that unless you have a problem.

--falz