CDRW Stopped Working Moving to 6.x

Crist J. Clark cristclark at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 23:07:56 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 03:24:16PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "Crist J. Clark" <cristclark at comcast.net> writes:

> >> You're right, and that's the key point to start from.
> >> Don't worry about ATAPI/CAM; it won't be used by burncd, and won't
> >> work any better than direct ATAPI drivers if the device isn't
> >> recognized as a CDRW.
> >>
> >> The funny thing is (unless I recall incorrectly, which is possible
> >> before my first cup of coffee for the day), the ID string is provided
> >> by the device itself.  And I just looked it up; CRD-8400B is
> >> definitely a CDROM.  So I don't think the OS is confused; if anything,
> >> the device itself is what's confused.
> >>
> >> Just to doublecheck: are you really sure you haven't changed the drive
> >> since the last time you burned a CD?
> >
> > Nope, haven't changed the drive. Went and had a look at the front and
> > it's got "CD/RW" on the "disc" symbol on the front of the tray. But
> > going back to some old dmesg(1) from this same box when the buring
> > worked back in 4.x,
> >
> >   FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #1: Sun Jun 19 00:18:37 PDT 2005
> >       cjc at goku.cjclark.org:/var/tmp/tmp_cjc/obj/usr/src/sys/GOKU
> >   [snip]
> >   acd0: CDROM <CRD-8400B> at ata1-master PIO4
> >
> > Hmmmm...
>
> Wow.  Good thinking to check that.
>
> Definitely sounds like you are being bitten by something dodgy in the
> device probing which has been there for a long time but was benign in
> the past.  You'll need someone who knows the probing code...

Soooo... After spending a few more hours trying to figure this out,
I get some confusing messages when I just try to read a CDROM!
Long story short, ha. ha. you'll laugh. I was looking at the
wrong machine. The one with the drive clearly embosed with the
"disc" symbol saying "Rewritable" is (besides also clearly being
labeled with the system's name which is not the system I was
trying to run the burncd(8) command on),

  acd0: CDRW <Verbatim 522452AL/68S1> at ata1-master PIO4

And the machine I was trying to actually run the command on,
the machine above, is indeed a CDROM.
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu