Hard drive RPM

John Andrewartha mulga at flinders.homeunix.org
Fri Sep 21 01:03:41 PDT 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 03:41:24 pm Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:35:28 +0200 (CEST)
>
> Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
> > but we are talking about disk capacity. filesystem is just kind of data
> > on disk, you may access disk without it like my video stream server.
> > actually only 1GB of each disk is allocated for filesystem (mirror+stripe
> > on 8 disks, giving 4GB for / partition), everything else simply contains
> > movies, with catalog as file on / partition.
>
> OP was complaining he/she could only access a smaller % of his disk after
> formatting it. so i think the effect of formatting also goes to answering
> the OP.
>
> _________________________
> {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome
>
> "Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest
> political end... liberty is the only object which benefits all alike, and
> provokes no sincere opposition... The danger is not that a particular class
> is unfit to to govern. Every class is unfit to govern... Power tends to
> corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord Acton
>
> I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may be hot. Slippery when
> wet. Reading disclaimers makes you go blind. Writing them is worse. You
> have been Warned.

When you format a disk a percentage of the disk is reserved for a map so your
file can be found.
On a UFS it is called the SUPER BLOCKS a master and at least one slave.

Typically these blocks will take up to 8% or there abouts of the disk.

BTW I am not shouting when "SUPER BLOCKS' that's how it's written.

In a root shell type fsck and watch the screen.

For more info dig into you docs usually /share/doc or usr/doc there where some
really good docs on the UFS.

John