natd / ipfw services on internal interface (Ivan Voras)

Joe josepha48 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 18:18:02 PDT 2007

Joe wrote:
> I have a question about natd/ and ipfw.  I am running natd on my external interface and I have some services on my internal interface.
>
> The services seem to be getting their ip addresses nat'd and some of them work and some of them dont.
>
> Any idea how to prevent things from going into natd?

You should specify more information about your setup, but generally you
should be able to just insert a rule like "ipfw add xxx allow ip from
mynet/mask to mynet/mask", where "xxx" is the rule-number BEFORE your
natd redirection rule-number and mynet/mask describes your internal network.

I think I figured it out after a lot of searching.  It turns out that when I installed it I accidentally enabled USE_SOCKETS on a non-jailed dhcp server.

The only information I found was a post or bug that said if you enable USE_SOCKETS on a non jailed server, you could have unexpected results.

The actual results are that your network traffic will be screwed up.

Joe