550 5.7.1 <some@any.com>... Relaying denied

Duane Hill d.hill at yournetplus.com
Wed Sep 12 05:01:10 PDT 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 at 06:48 +0100, m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk...:

> johan Hartono wrote:
>
>> Yes, it is a very interesting topic I'd like to
>> discuss next.
>> I don't know why, in FreeBSD, even though you install
>> postfix it will
>> appears as sendmail. Will this become any problem?
>
> All of the available MTAs will do that, because the standard Unix API
> for an application to send e-mail is for that app to pipe the message
> into the STDIN of /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Alternative MTAs have always
> therefore provided a high degree of sendmail compatibility and expect
> to have binaries either installed as or linked to /usr/sbin/sendmail.
>
> Unlike most other Unix or unix-oid systems, FreeBSD has a slightly
> more sophisticated variation on this.  /usr/sbin/sendmail is actually
> a wrapper program and not Sendmail Brand sendmail(tm) at all -- see
> mailwrapper(8) for details.  Simply by editing the configuration file
> /etc/mail/mailer.conf you can switch between sendmail-from-the-base-system, sendmail-from-ports, exim, postfix, qmail, ssmtp and probably half a
> dozen others.  mailer.conf also covers a number of other sendmail
> related commands like newaliases(1) and hoststat(8).
>
> The sendmail binary provided by the base system is installed as
> /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail

Correct. And if you install Postfix from the ports collection, it will ask
you if you want Postfix installed into the mailer.conf.

Therefore, if the OP did not install through the ports, the mailer.conf
might not have been changed.

Either way, the logs the OP was showing are not Posfix. I just did a quick
test from a terminal using sendmail and this is what it looks like:

Sep 12 11:54:11 duane postfix/local[71012]: 673D66D437: to=<d.hill at localhost>, orig_to=<d.hill at localhost>, relay=local, delay=7.8, delays=7.7/0.02/0/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)

None of the logs that were shown bare the Postfix name.

------
   _|_
  (_| |