Newby Question: What to do when one port can't recognize another port?

Jeff D jeffd6635 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:05:14 PDT 2007

James,

On 10/30/07, james <oscartheduck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, great. Have you also done a successful portupgrade since then? I
> should have asked this earlier, but it's before nine and I'm not at my
> best when tired ;)

Before I got re-started, now I have.  Other than the complaint about
Apache22 not finding db46, all seemed to go ok.

apache on FreeBSD is installed consistently (i.e. you know where to look
> for files based upon sensible reasoning), and it follows exactly the
> conventions you expect it to follow, with httpd.conf etc.
>
> The only weirdness to be aware of is that the handbook covers apache
> 1.3, not 2.x.

I'll keep this in mind, and eventually investigate.

But for now I can't exactly agree OR disagree, since Apache22 simply doesn't
install on Freebsd because of this out of date Port.

I've just been told that there's some sort of a Port version freeze in place
in preparation for the version 7 release (?), which will delay any update to
that Apache22 port even longer.

I've swapped in an Ubuntu disk, and I can say that Apache 2.2.4 & BerkeleyDB
4.6.19 install just fine on Ubuntu right out of the box.  I'm not sure which
way to go now.  Being a big believer in "a bird in the hand ...", I'm
leaning towards Ubuntu instead, beacuse it works now.  But, I'll Google some
more for objective comparisons to be sure.

Regards,

  Jeff