Recommended servers for FreeBSD

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Tue Oct 30 06:58:50 PDT 2007

All,

We have been using Dell since early 2001. in fact, I have one comming up on two years uptime. (FreeBSD 4.4, Yeah, I know, but I just can't bring myself to shut it down to upgrade). Raid works well, new SAS systems work well, no burn CPUs or Memory. Lots of great online and on phone support.

I tried sourcing some 1u and 2u systems elsewhere (no names please), and in the end the Dells with 3 Year silver support and Waranttee were the same price, in a couple ways cheaper.

As for speed, they seem to middle of the pack. BUT remember ... bus speed, memory speed, disk access, are all sky high anyways, so speed may not bee an issue anyways, even with slower systems.

About the only negative thing I have to say is that I was not at all impressed with the DRAC III/XT cards. The new generation 4 and 5 cards seem to be better though.

I had some problems with freeBSD 6.0 freezing, but the same hardware is running 6.2 with no issues now. I am sure that was a FReeBSD quotas problem anyway.

Even a simple 24 port managed switch I have works good.

My two cents,

-Grant