Recommended servers for FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Oct 29 16:35:13 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 12:05:04PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 01:36 +0000, Andrew Wasilczuk wrote:
> >[...]
> >>
> >>I haven't dealt with HP yet, but I'm starting to seriously
> >>consider them.
> >>How is good is their support when things go wrong?
> >
> >According to my experience ...
> >it is good at both performance and stability of HP Proliant.
> >Moreover HP's A/S is good as well. HP is good friend of FreeBSD.
> >

> How do HP servers compare to Dell?  We're Dell fans here, but always
> willing to look at something better.

I've only used a couple of HPs, (350 something I think) but they
seemed about the same.  One came with a DOA motherboard, but it
was replaced quickly.  Something similar happened on a Dell box.
We have had several of Dell's power supplies go out, but they were
the redundant setups so the servers ran on the rest of them until
spares came.    Dell didn't whine about replacing them.

////jerry