OEM and Trademark license for Java on FreeBSD -- Freebsd_Sun_Info@sun.com no longer valid?

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Thu Oct 25 16:40:55 PDT 2007

On 25/10/2007 2:41 PM, Pj Malloy wrote:
> Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
>
> I have some questions regarding the OEM and Trademark license for Java on FreeBSD.  I initially sent my email inquiry to  Freebsd_Sun_Info at sun.com, as stated in the FreeBSD Foundation Java Download page
>    (http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml), but  that Freebsd_Sun_Info at sun.com email address does not appear to be valid --  the email I sent to that address bounced.
>
> The Freebsd_Sun_Info at sun.com email  address is specifically called out in Diablo FreeBSD OEM Java license that is  listed here:
>    http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/cgi-bin/download?download=oem/diablo-jdk-freebsd5.i386.1.5.0.07.01.tbz
>

> That license text states we (a) must obtain a Trademark License from Sun, and depending on the exact field of use, we (b) might need to get a commercial license from Sun.  That license text directs me to Freebsd_Sun_Info at sun.com to get more information for both (a) and (b). That email address doesn't work, so now I'm wondering what to do next...  I called Sun Sales, but they did not know what I was talking about...

I too would love to know the answer to this -- the way Sun carry on,
anyone would think they don't want people using their language... I am
sure Microsoft don't make you jump through hoops if you want to write
and distribute applications written in .NET and want to distribute the
run-time along with it -- so why must Sun make it so hard for people to
do that with Java?

--Antony