do I *really* need xorg 7.x?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Oct 22 13:26:28 PDT 2007

--On October 21, 2007 10:29:36 PM -0700 Steve Franks
<stevefranks at ieee.org> wrote:

> Seems every time I try to install a pkg or make a port lately, I get
> this:
>
> ===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries in
> /usr/ports/x1 1/xorg-libraries
> /usr/X11R6 exists, but it is not a symlink. Installation cannot proceed.
> This looks like an incompletely removed old version of X.  In the
> current versio n, /usr/X11R6 must be a symlink if it exists at
> all.Please read /usr/ports/UPDAT ING (entry of 20070519) for the
> procedure to upgrade X.org related ports.*** Err or code 1
>
> My system is just fine as is, thanks, am I stuck not installling any
> of these ports unless I upgrade X?

No, you don't need to install X.  Yes, you *do* need to install some of
the X libraries because they are used by ports you are trying to install.

If you've never installed X on this box, just run mergebase.sh
(/usr/ports/Tools/scripts - IIRC) to create the symlink.  Then install the
pkg or port you want, which will install the libraries needed.

I have two headless servers running websites and other services, and both
have X stuff installed.  That's the nature of shared libraries.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/