xorg install problem

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Oct 21 10:48:36 PDT 2007

AN wrote:
> I am trying to install a new system with Gnome and xorg on 7.0 beta 1.
> Here are the steps I have taken:
>
> install 6.2 release
> cvsup to releng_7 as of 10/21/07
> buildworld -sucessful
> installworld -sucessful
> reboot into 7.0 beta
> set packagesite to ft2.nl.freebsd.org
> pkg_add xorg-7.3_1 - fails with message:
>
> 1 package addition failed
> pkg_add of dependency 'xorg-apps-7.3' failed
> 1 package addition failed
>
> I have used this procedure for a long time to install new systems, is
> it broken now because of the status of the new 7.0 release or am I
> having another problem?
>
> What is the proper procedure to get a system with:
>
> fbsd 7.0 beta
> xorg 7.3
> gnome
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> TIA

It seems you should set PACKAGESITE like:

setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp2.nl.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-current/Latest/

and use pkg_add -r xorg  (don't specify version numbers if you use Latest)

or

setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp2.nl.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-current/All/

and use pkg_add -r  xorg-7.3_1.tbz  (the latest at this time)
(use export PACKAGESITE=... if you use bash shell)