freebsd-net: ether alias

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Oct 19 10:49:34 PDT 2007

On Oct 19, 2007, at 2:41 AM, Андрей Поляков wrote:
> Hi, I am using freebsd 6.2.  And I am doubt how to add a harware
> address alias to my NIC wich would be associated with ip. For
> example, there are configuration:
[ ... ]
> How do I setup multiple mac addresses?

You can do this by proxy-arping; see "man arp":

      -s hostname ether_addr
              Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with
the Ether-
              net address ether_addr.  The Ethernet address is given
as six hex
              bytes separated by colons.  The entry will be permanent
unless
              the word temp is given in the command.  If the word pub
is given,
              the entry will be ``published''; i.e., this system will
act as an
              ARP server, responding to requests for hostname even
though the
              host address is not its own.  In this case the
ether_addr can be
              given as auto in which case the interfaces on this host
will be
              examined, and if one of them is found to occupy the
same subnet,
              its Ethernet address will be used.  If the only keyword
is also
              specified, this will create a ``published (proxy
only)'' entry.
              This type of entry is created automatically if arp
detects that a
              routing table entry for hostname already exists.

--
-Chuck