Problem with VNC on AMD64

David van Kuijk dj.vankuijk at chello.nl
Fri Oct 19 05:35:49 PDT 2007

Hi

I have been using FreeBSD for several years now on intel32. Now I
installed it on my new server which is a AMD64. Most things go well, but
I can't get a Window Manager working under VNC anymore. Here you find
the VNC log:

Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.2 - built Oct 21 2006 03:26:51
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86 Project, Inc

Fri Oct 19 08:13:28 2007
  vncext:      VNC extension running!
  vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
  vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
  vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from list!
wmaker fatal error: it seems that there is already a window manager running

So VNC server will run, and I can connect to it from a VNC-client, but
the window manager fails to start correctly.

I've tried a different window manager (TWM), but here a similar error
message occurs:
twm:  another window manager is already running. on screen 0?
twm:  unable to find any unmanaged video screens.

Anybody suggestions how I can solve this?

Greetings,
David