Dual Routers

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Oct 16 14:31:16 PDT 2007

> Is it possible to run two routers?  I have an ADSL modem 192.168.1.1 and a
> wireless router 192.168.2.1.  The both are accessed using dhcp.  I would
> like to be able to switch from one the the other, or have both available.
> Is this possible?

If I understand you correctly, you could do this:

Change the LAN IP of the wireless unit to 192.168.1.2.

Plug the ADSL modems ethernet port to the LAN side of the wireless router.

Plug your PC's into the remaining LAN ports on the wireless unit.

Essentially, this turns your wireless 'router' into a bridged access point.

You will have to disable DHCP on the wireless router, and let the ADSL
modem hand out addresses.

You will surf just fine, and you will be able to access the wireless
router for maintenance at 1.2, and the ADSL modem at 1.1

Hope this is what you were after.

Steve