rpc_lockd and syslogd

mr. phreak nollan at phreaker.net
Fri Oct 12 15:41:03 PDT 2007

I have a chicken-egg problem. On my diskless setup the syslogd gives me
this error during boot:

syslogd: cannot open pid file: operation not supported

And I tracked the issue to flock() and enabled rpc_lockd. Still it gives
me the same error - because rpc_lockd
starts AFTER syslogd does. I've tried fiddling around with REQUIRES and
PROVIDES in the rc.d files but I cannot make it work... It gives me the
error anyway. (or other errors due to rc.d-hacking)... is there any way
to solve this? I'd appreciate some help!

when running syslogd when logged in it doesn't give me the error so I
guess rpc_lockd *really* is the sollution.

regards