system admin question...

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at ridecharge.com
Wed Oct 10 13:07:15 PDT 2007

Gary Kline wrote:
>         This is for the system admins out there; I brought up this question
>         last weekend, (re xsysstats, an *old* app), but got no answers,
>         so again:
>
>         What are the best tools, graphical or otherwise, that I can use
>         on  a dedicated Gnome [or CWTM, KDE, Whatever] workspace that
>         will help me track each of my four or five computers?
>         (((Is xosview broken?  I have it running here on this pre xorg-7.2
>         system.)))  xsysstats seems reasonable; are there any others?
>         I'd like to be able to spot any overloads of file system snafus
>         before they go critical... .
You should check out conky:
/usr/ports/sysutils/conky

If you install this + X client on the remote computers, you can then
do
xhost +server_ip

ssh server_ip
export DISPLAY=desktop_ip:0.0
conky &
exit

Its not the best way but hey its quick.

You'll need to set
own_window yes
on the remote servers in ~/.conkyrc

I tend to run it on my desktop and set it to
on_windows no

If you have a spotting network connection this blows.

Also, checkout
/usr/ports/sysutils/monit

There's always the time honored snmp+mgrt combos

Finally, checkout
/usr/ports/net/nagios

Ticketmaster uses this but on Redhat AS 3 boo!

Philip M. Gollucci (philip at ridecharge.com) c:323.219.4708 o:703.749.9295x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.