Equations

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat Oct 6 13:17:50 PDT 2007

Frank Jahnke wrote:
> I figured this was the case, and it makes a difference.  This is OT, but
> do you have a link that describe what font families are available?  I
> assume the Postscript base set is easy.  But how about the others?

There is an entire fat book devoted to that:
Fonts & Encodings by Yannis Haralambous O'Reilly
Using any type1 or ttf fonts is very easy as long as no formulas are
involved. If formulas have to be typed using a font in harmony with the
text, then it becomes quite difficult to produce the necessary virtual
fonts. This is certainly a drawback of TeX.

By the way, in my academic domain, all scientists worldwide use TeX, and
not a single one use Word. One of the reasons is that people publish
their work here:
http://arxiv.org/
and submissions have to be in TeX and not Word. Similarly journals
accept submissions in TeX since they have minor editorial work to do
afterwards. Scientists in other domains would be well inspired to do the
same.

This being said, this question doesn't have much relevance to FreeBSD.

--

Michel TALON