7.0 installation, and Xorg in particular

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Thu Nov 29 12:17:45 PST 2007

Freminlins wrote:

<snip>
> Err, yeah. Look through hundreds of packages to see which dependencies they
> have. Helpful. Not.
>
> This way of doing X11 is seriously unhelpful to end users. If having
> individual packages for everything is so good, please tell me why everything
> in /bin, /usr/bin and so on is not an individual package. It's because the
> idea of doing so is dumb.
>
> Frem.

Allthough I think the modular approach to Xorg is a good thing, I have
to agree the xorg-meta port installs A LOT of ports. A xorg-lite port an
xorg-lite port would be usefull for a user who is planning on installing
a low-end X windows environment.  I  thought  I read at the
freebsd-ports list such thing was being worked on some time ago. But I
haven't heard anything about it anymore for quite some time now. What
happened to that idea ?

Regards,

--
-Frank Staals