UPgrade FAILS (was: Re: can anybody explain?)

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Nov 28 12:23:19 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:20:54PM +1100, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 00:29:15 -0800
> Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
>
> > 	I think it has to do with that "autoload" {or whatever} is the
> > 	first thing that appears after the square box of options.
> > 	I only saw the string for a n instant; it may have been overwritten.

	I finally caught the *first* part of the boot string; it was
	"ACPI" [followed by some error on loading this.]

	Long story short, I was fairly sure that "ACPI  ... "  string was
	causing my upgrade to 6.3 to fail.  I explicitly disabled it
	with the ``hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" hint and rebooted.  No more
	ACPI ...  string but the boot *still* hung after  printing

	sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0

	to the console.  In /var/log/messages there was more:

	sio0: type 8250 or not responding

	I'm upgrading to RELENG_7 and will rebuild, but if anyboody know
	what that last line means, and how to resolve, I'd be much obliged!

	gary

	PS:  Odds are that version 7 will hang, too, but dunno until I try.

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix