stability of FreeBSD 7 Beta 3?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 28 02:20:27 PST 2007

Chris wrote:
> On 26/11/2007, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Of course not :P  What are the PR references?
>>
>>> Try this.
>>>
>>> Login to twice on ssh.
>>> If not root su both to root.
>>> using the 2nd tty do a watch -W on the first tty.
>>> on the first tty type 'killall watch'
>>> you have now crashed freebsd 7 and most probably a auto reboot timer
>>> is counting down.
>> I can confirm this.
>>
>>> Even typing reboot to reboot the server causes page faults.
>> But not this.
>>
>> Kris
>>

> Hi Kris
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=116719 is the watch report
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=116720 for the reboot
>
> The reboot stopped crashing when I recompiled world using -O I have
> however seen it on other servers crashing on -O binaries its not
> consistent like the watch problem but its on numerous servers I seen
> the problem on.

Unfortunately both of these are not high quality PR submissions, which
is probably why no action has been taken yet.  At least in the first one
you give a "how to repeat" that I was able to follow, but in general
when you encounter a panic you should be providing the backtrace and/or
other debugging information requested here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

The second PR is basically null as written since it cannot be reproduced
and no debugging information was submitted.  If you are interested in
proceeding with it, please reproduce and obtain the necessary kernel
debugging.  Otherwise we should close it.

Does the patch I sent you solve the first problem?

Kris