how to compile and install a new driver

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Tue Nov 27 15:31:41 PST 2007

Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Steve Franks wrote:
>
>> I found this thread
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-August/027445.html
>> to a driver I need for my system.
>>
>> (1) The file extension
>> (http://www.dons.net.au/~darius/ucp-0.01.diff.gz) is .diff, not .c, so
>> what exactly do I do with it to compile it?
>
> It's a file produced by diff(1), which shows the differences between
> files.  Normally, the difference is between the old files and what
> someone has changed or added.  Also called a patch file, since you use
> patch(1) to apply it.  patch(1) goes through the diff file and makes all
> the changes shown.

Nice description, but you'd better include enough info so that they
could make FreeBSD-stype diffs: diff has the unfortunate default of
making an output that is compatible with ed(1).  This supplies extremely
little information to use, in case the file you're trying to patch with
that diff has changed, and is also damned hard for mere humans to
understand.   There are two other options you can give to diff that
change the format: -c gives "context" diffs, and -u gives "unified"
diffs, and the -u is the option that is standard with FreeBSD.  How you
do this is to copy the file you intend to change BEFORE you edit the
chantes in to "somefile.orig", and then, when you perform the diff, you
must give the .orig file first, else you will produce a file that tries
to remove the patch instead of applying the patch, like this:

diff -u somefile.c.orig somefile.c >patchfile

diffs have a standard header on them, and (although it seems that this
isn't a FreeBSD standard) you can easily enter in freeform comments
before your patch's header, describing the reasons for this patch to be
applied (whatever condition this patch fixes).

To tell you the truth, that idea of sticking comments at the top of
patch files, I got from the crosscompiler site, and it's a great idea,
it's how they set up their patches, and we should use  it.