stability of FreeBSD 7 Beta 3?

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:34:38 PST 2007

On 26/11/2007, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Tore Lund wrote:
> > Ivan Voras wrote:
> >> Probably no major bugs will be fixed between now and 7.0 so you might as
> >> well start using it now.
> >>
> >> It's "stable enough" like all .0 releases, meaning you should throughly
> >> test it for your own workload before using it in production.
> >
> > Just curious, what is the "official" forum for pre-release discussions?
> > I notice there are some threads on the "current" list, but it seems to
> > me that this is really "questions" stuff, since it is an upcoming release.
>
> freebsd-stable is probably best.
>
> > In any case, I tried the boot-only CD, and I was not able to install any
> > packages during the install process.  Sysinstall aborted with Signal 11
> > when trying to read INDEX from the ftp site.  Pkg_add from the command
> > line seems to work, however, so it looks like I may get online from
> > 7.0-BETA3 tomorrow.
>
> That is expected, packages are not available until later in the release
> cycle.
>
> > Moreover, wasn't there supposed to be a new install program?  I have
> > read some promising remarks about it, but it's certainly not part of
> > 7.0-BETA3.  Personally, I would much rather type a long list of commands
> > than use the old, rickety sysinstall.
>
> One is in early development, but not even complete let alone ready to
> replace sysinstall.
>
> Kris

Kris can I ask what sort of importance bugs that cause crashes (page
faults) are?
I reported 2 bugs before BETA1 both these bugs involved 7.0 getting a
page fault and of course then stop responding requiring a reboot yet
both PRs have had no response and both bugs are still present in BETA3
I see minor issues been worked on such as responsiveness in desktop
use whilst issues that cause system crashes are left unattended.  Is
FreeBSD primarily a desktop os now and thats the new path?

Try this.

Login to twice on ssh.
If not root su both to root.
using the 2nd tty do a watch -W on the first tty.
on the first tty type 'killall watch'
you have now crashed freebsd 7 and most probably a auto reboot timer
is counting down.

Even typing reboot to reboot the server causes page faults.

This is nothing to do with hardware very repeatable behaviour happens
for me on at least 4 different freebsd 7 servers, if I compile world
with -O not -O2 the default it stops reboot causing page faults on
some of the servers.

Chris

Chris