HP Deskjet 9800 with hpijs driver

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Nov 26 03:09:08 PST 2007

> On November 26, 2007 at 01:23AM Erin McNew wrote:

> I've been trying to get my photo printer working recently, and seem to have
> run into a bit of a snag.  I just tried to print out a picture as a test,
> and instead of a picture, I got: PCL commands across the top of one page of
> photo paper, and the printer spewed the rest of my paper out empty (taught
> me an important lesson about testing without having large quantities of
> photo paper in the printer...)
> Anyway, I was looking on google, and I don't seem to see other people having
> this problem, but I'm not sure what I could've done wrong.  I'm using the
> hpijs driver, which is supposed to work perfectly under linux, and works
> perfectly for my other hp printer.  Is this printer just not supported by
> FreeBSD?  I couldn't find anything that stated directly either way in my
> quick googling, so I was hoping somebody here might have some ideas for
> things to check, etc.

Do you have the 'hplip' port installed (/print/hplip)? You can find
information regarding it here: http://hplip.sourceforge.net/.

I am presently using it with a C6180 and it works fine. It was the first time
I got that machine to work right under anything but Windows.

According to the web site, your printer is supported. You will need cups
installed to make it all work correctly however, or at least I did.

--
Gerard