Fwd: Upgrading X11 port

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 04:45:09 PST 2007

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 12:22:36PM +0000, Siraj Shaikh wrote:

> Hi
>
> With regards to the following post, I just wanted to clarify this.
>
> I am going to do this now. Get the ports tree, using
>
> portsnap fetch
>
> and
>
> portsnap extract
>
> and then
>
> portsnap update
>
> Then, when I install xorg, would that be the 7.3 version? or would it
> still be 6.9, and I would have to update it using the guideliness
> given in UPDATING?

Portsnap will update your ports tree & will contain the stubs for xorg
7.3. If you're currently running 6.9 then follow the instructions in
UPDATING.

> Is it not possible to install xorg-7.3 right from the start? avoiding
> this manual updating?

Yes. If you haven't got 6.9 installed then you can just install 7.3
without mucking about with the upgrade procedure described in
UPDATING.

> If this question doesn make sense, then I obiviously dont understand
> something about port/software installation in freebsd :)

I think you're getting the hang of it :)

PS. Please don't top post.