still fumbling around with poor network speed

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Fri Nov 23 13:57:35 PST 2007

ive been chasing this problem around for about a week now.  ive got a
7.0 betaX box that started out as a beta 1.5.  no problems with
anything.

then, i upgraded it (via cvs) to 2.0, and i instantly noticed a
problem with serving the /usr volume via NFS to my laptop.  moving my
workstation to 3.0 didnt help either.  the 7.0beta box showed outbound
traffic about 200k.  exact same behavior today, accessing it via SMB
from an OSX mac.

strange thing is, when i use scp to transfer large files, they go at
almost 200mbit.  as far as i know, scp uses TCP only.  but NFS and
SMB, do they not use UDP?  and if so, what can i do to try to
troubleshoot how poorly UDP packets are working?

ive tried changing the cable, changing the switch port, and its the
same thing each time.  i have one other 7.0 server, thats not
experiencing this either (but it also has a different ethernet card.

as i type this, im wondering if this could be related to the bge
driver?  i know many people have complained about bge in the past, and
i never seemed to have noticed anything wrong with mine... but could
that have changed for me as time passes and sourcecode evolves?

if anyone can help shed light on this, id really appreciate it.
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
freebsd at dfwlp.com