Basically: why such troubles with KDE audio?

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Nov 23 07:47:49 PST 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:34:31 -0800
Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:

> 	Thanks for your input, but it was ignorance that KsCD is not
> for playback  of audio CD's on FBSD.

I'm not sure what that means, since it's a CD player. Are you saying
that some part of it is broken on FreeBSD?

There are two ways of playing CDs. One way is that the app reads the
tracks off the disk and treats them as data (I'm guessing it's
this bit that doesn't work). The traditional way is that the CD player
app controls the drive, but the sound goes directly from the drive to
the sound-card (or motherboard) through a dedicated lead.

If you fit that lead you should have sound from KsCD, or you may just
need to turn-up the cd input in the mixer. That said I haven't bothered
to do this for a long time since most mp3 apps will also play CD.