xdm woes

Rolf G Nielsen listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
Tue Nov 20 09:40:23 PST 2007

Hi,

I recently purchased a new computer (well, purchased the components and
put them together). The hardware is ASUS P5B Premium, nVIDIA GeForce
8600 GT, 2-channel JMicron JMB 363 PCIe card, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600,
six Samsung HD501LJ CR100-10 HDDs striped using gstripe (used for
storage), one Samsung SP1614C SW100-30 HDD used as system disk (/, /usr,
/var and /home). I'm running 7.0-BETA3 and Xorg 7.3, with the nv driver
that comes with Xorg (nVIDIA's own driver refuses to compile with the
message that 7.0 & -CURRENT aren't supported.

Now for my problem. Everything works like a charm, except for one small
annoyance. If I run xdm, everything hangs when I log out. The monitor
just turns black and i get no response whatsoever for neither the mouse
nor the keyboard. The only thing that works is shutting the computer off
(by quickly pushing aqnd releasing the power button, so the OS shuts
down using ACPI). This happens every time. No matter what window manager
I use. But it only happens when I use xdm. If I start X with startx, it
shuts down cleanly and returns to the tty from which I ran startx.

The only clue I've been able to find about this is in /var/log/xdm.log
(which I'm enclosing). I'd be happy to share my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log
files as well (and any other files that might help solving this too for
that matter), but because of their sizes I'll only do that on request. I
haven't touched any of the X and xdm resource files excpet xorg.conf.

my /var/log/xdm.log looks like this (the last line confuses me):

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA3 i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD trapper.homedns.org 7.0-BETA3 FreeBSD
7.0-BETA3 #0: Sun Nov 18 02:13:50 CET 2007
root at trapper.homedns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LAZLAR i386
Build Date: 20 November 2007  05:09:57PM

         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Nov 20 17:20:57 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) Module "i2c" already built-in
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
 >                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
<stdin>:30:1: error: unterminated #if
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
 >                   Using last definition
 > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
 >                   Using first definition
 > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
 >                   Using first definition
 > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
 >                   Using first definition
 > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
 >                   Using first definition
 > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
 >                   Using first definition
 > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
 >                   Using first definition
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
xdm info (pid 900): Rescanning both config and servers files
xdm error (pid 900): Display :0 is being disabled

--

Sincerly,

Rolf Nielsen