Build Frustrations

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Mon Nov 19 20:00:58 PST 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> You can tell ports where to install something.  We used to install
> all of Apache in its own directory to make it easy to manipulate
> in a system we were installing in a lot of places.   Check the ports
> doc and such.

Actually, I just tried this.  This is not what I want.  If I go to cd
/usr/ports/www/apache22, and do a make PREFIX=/some/other/directory, I do
NOT get the same thing I'd get building apache from source.  I get ALL the
apache prerequisites installed under /some/other/dir, as opposed to the
apache standards places (for example config files which would normally be
in /usr/local/apache/conf now get installed in /some/other/directory/etc
(the port installs them in /usr/local/etc).  As a bonus, dependent
packages get added to my package database under the same prefix, which
shouldn't happen.  (i.e. I want ONLY the apache2.2 stuff in a
self-contained directory).

And the apache layout is hard coded (the only configure argument to be
so):

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --prefix=${PREFIX_RELDEST} \
                 --enable-layout=FreeBSD \
                 --with-perl=${PERL5} \
                 --with-port=${WITH_HTTP_PORT} \
                 --with-expat=${LOCALBASE} \
                 --with-iconv=${LOCALBASE} \
                 --enable-http

In short, not at all the same.  Plus, doesn't solve the issue.  I have all
the necessary binaries I need to build apache, it simply outright refuses
to build (and also, the APR version in ports is badly broken, nearly a
year old, and the APR maintainer can't even commit changes without making
a PR).

Also, this may seem silly as heck, but it should definitely be POSSIBLE to
build apache outside of the port (so, again, I feel "use the port" is not
the right answer...there's a deeper problem here).

I mean, obviously if they've got a standard layout defined in the apache
tree, the apache people expect the code to build on this OS (otherwise if
the ports-patches are so necessary, we would just define the layout there
too)

-Dan

--

"This Is Not Goodbye!"

-DM, August 11th 2001, 10 PMish Chicago Time