what changed recently with browser plugins?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Nov 13 16:05:47 PST 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 08:52:40AM -0600, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> i want to say it was early to mid-october, that standard opera and firefox
> stopped working (upon upgrade) with the plugins (flash).  previously, most
> flash that i would encounter worked fine in opera, which was my preference
> since java (such as weathermaps on www.noaa.gov) worked without a hitch as
> well.
>
> now that time has passed, flashplugin has stopped working with standard opera,
> and now that im woefully using linux-opera, the java stuff doesnt work like i
> would expect.
>
> is there anyway to get my updated system to behave like it used to? (mostly
> pertaining to flash, as java still works right under 'standard' opera).

I think it was about the same time linux-flashplugin7 + nspluginwrapper
stopped working with Firefox here.  Now, instead of Flash objects, I just
get a broad, empty area where the Flash object is supposed to appear.
Oh, and I get absurdly slow page load times where I didn't before, too.

They always say that when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade.
I always wonder -- isn't the lemonade going to suck if life doesn't give
you any sugar?