[OFFTOPIC] Re: One Laptop Per Child

Pollywog lists-fbsd at shadypond.com
Mon Nov 12 11:26:44 PST 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007 19:06:28 Chuck Robey wrote:

> I wish it wasn't this way.  Maybe it's just in the schools I visited?
> If so, anyone have a better experience?  Until I hear of some, I won't
> contribute to any "computers for kids" deal, because  it only benefits
> big computer companies, who sell the machines, not the kids.

It is true that the companies that sell computers and software benefit, but
the same could be said of companies that sell state-approved textbooks to
schools (if you have seen those textbooks you know what I mean), the
companies that sell shoes for sports, etc.  There is one large software
company that gives some software to schools and then gets a tax cut even
though it benefits down the line when those kids grow up to buy that
company's software because that is the software they know.

I still think it is better for kids to know how to use computers, even if a
few business people also benefit.