CD's and fonts....

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Nov 11 18:38:00 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:58:13AM +0100, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> On Sunday 11 November 2007 23:55:50 Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	After many tries , my secoond burner finally opopened a CD full
> > 	of hundreds of TTF fonts.  I don't know how to use the graphics
> > 	widget to move the contents of /media/cdrom/1 to <<whereever>>
> > 	so that all these fonts are usable by both  AbiWord and OOo-2.3.
> > 	(On my Ubuntu platform I used the command line to  copy from
> > 	/cdrom/*.ttf to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/.  )
> >
> > 	I am using the OOo font wizard to install the few M$ free fonts,
> > 	but sem to be missing BASIC.  [[???]].  At any rate, any tips or
> > 	insights would be very much appreciated here.
> >
> > 	tia,
> >
> > 	gary
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> as far as I know, you are using KDE, which makes things pretty easy. You
> can just use Konqueror to browse to your fonts and use the appropriate
> option in the context menu to install the selected fonts.
>
> If you want to do the font installation by hand, as you described, you
> have to make sure that X is aware of the directory where your font
> files reside and that the directory is properly prepared. This is best
> described in the handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> michael

	Well, your handbook URL helped, :-) ... I have in bookmarked in
	konq.  I pointed the browser at the CDROM but there were too many
	files--hundred--and the browser choked.   I'm not sure if I can
	do a CLI cp -rp from the disk, so I'm **trying** to figure out
	how to use these GUI tools. If you , or anyone else, would be so
	kind as too explain how to copy one file or multiple files or a
	directory and its subdirectories from (say) /media/cdrom/1 to
	/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType, I would be much obliged.

	Typing a single string in an xterm seems lots easier than
	doing it by file-manager.  ...

	thanks,

	gary

--