nanobsd, picobsd, tinybsd

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 10 14:15:46 PST 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 03:45:30PM -0600, John Smith wrote:
> I'd expected a more level headed reply from this FreeBSD list. How is
> a newbie supposed to know the differenced

Both nanobsd and picobsd have manual pages. Try 'man nanobsd' and 'man
picobsd'.

Picobsd has been superseded by nanobsd, whose primary is building system
images for embadded systems. This is definitely not a newbie subject.

> and how can I test this if I don't have a spare machine?

Use a virtual machine, like Qemu or vmware.

> My question was more out of interest. This mailing list is called
> FreeBSD-Questions, so why can't I asked a reasonable question and
> expect a reasonable reply...?

You're supposed to look for answers yourself first. A quick googling of
tinybsd, nanobsd and picobsd would have given you these links:

http://www.tinybsd.org/tinybsd
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/nanobsd/index.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/nanobsd/howto.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PicoBSD