slow data transfer from smba share, where to start

Ray ray at stilltech.net
Wed Nov 7 11:56:21 PST 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 1:10:11 pm Ray wrote:
> Hello,
> I am having a problem with slow data transfer. Source is a samba share
> mounted as a local drive. destination is the local hard-drive. Can anybody
> give me some hints on where to start looking?
> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> any info that seems relevant to me is included, but I can provide any other
> data that is needed (domain info is sanitized)
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD server.example.com 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Wed May  2
> 03:41:55 UTC 2007     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> # less fstab
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass# <snip>
> //owner at technical/technical     /mnt/technical  smbfs   rw,-N   0       0
>
> # time mv /mnt/technical/test /www/test/pub
> 0.008u 0.402s 7:42.28 0.0%      17+262k 7+27io 4121pf+0w
>
> test is a directory containing approximately 15 MB of data,
>

> windows machine is running windows XP pro. No known hardware or software
> problems on either machine. Hardware is decent but not super high end.
> the two machines are connected through a mid range consumer router  and
> about 100 - 150 feet of cat5 cable.

I have a little more information now. (Thanks to the current thread on this
list 'Best way to measure disk bandwidth usage')
I started a large copy from the samba share to the local drive and then
checked ps and top.
ps lists the status as D+ (short term, uninterruptible wait, in foreground?)
top, after I push 'm' lists the state as 90wrq (samba waiting?)

so it seems to me that either something is wrong with samba, or something is
wrong with windows or I don't have enough experience to find the real answer.

Just because the second option is obviously true, doesn't mean options 1 and 3
aren't.
so, how do I go about checking samba (I can't find a /var/log/samba, or
anything close to that.) and can anybody suggest anything else to try?
Thanks,
Ray