TSM stops working after kernel upgrade

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Sat Nov 3 12:33:22 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've got a TSM-client (Tivoli Storage Manger - Backup-System) running
under FreeBSD 6.2 without any problems over the past months.

However after a recent kernel upgrade (about Mid September) the TSM
client stopped working. Whatever I try to backup I get the following
messages:

tsm> inc /TSM-Backup

Incremental backup of volume '/TSM-Backup'
ANS1228E Sending of object '/TSM-Backup' failed
ANS1063E The specified path is not a valid file system or logical volume name.

tsm>

with "/TSM-Backup" being a snapshot-mounted (/dev/md...) partition of
my machine.

Please note that nothing else has changed on the machine - only the
kernel/system has been updated!

So here are my questions:

o) Has anybody out there got TSM running under FreeBSd 6.2 and
experienced similar problems? What did you do in order to get TSM back
running again?

o) Is there any way to step-back to an older kernel/system source? To
be specific: Is there a way to cvs the kernel/system so that sources
reflect the situatino at e.g. September 15,2007? If yes, how can that
be done? (CVS?)

Thanks much in advance for your help,
-ewald