FreeBSD 6.2 with Xorg 7.3

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Nov 1 11:54:49 PDT 2007

--On Thursday, November 01, 2007 09:50:57 +0100 Erik Trulsson
<ertr1013 at student.uu.se> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 08:02:42PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> --On October 31, 2007 12:43:48 PM -0400 John <nesredep at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I hope this is an appropriate list for this type of question; please let
>>> me know if another list is more suitable to newbie-type quesions.
>>>
>>> I've been using Linux for a long time, and every year or so I have a
>>> crack at *BSD to see what I'm missing.  But it never works out.
>>>
>>> So, trying again...
>>>
>>> I think I want to start with FreeBSD 6.2 with Xorg upgraded to 7.3.  I
>>> tried to accomplish this over the course of several installs.  In the
>>> end, I decided this should work:
>>>
>>> a)  install 6.2, plain User setup (NOT with Xorg, and NOT with ports)
>>>
>>> b) portsnap fetch
>>>
>>> c) portsnap extract
>>>
>>> d) cd to /usr/ports/x11/xorg  and make install clean
>>>
>>> When I do pkg_version -v, it SEEMS to have installed the xorg that I
>>> want.
>>>
>>> Is this the right procedure to start with?
>>
>> Yes, with one caveat.  You need to run mergebase.sh or manually create
>> the  symlink for /usr/X11R6.  /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh
>
> No, that is not necessary if he installs everything from scratch.

It was when we did it here.  How else would the symlink get created?  In
fact, xorg-libraries refused to install until we ran mergebase.sh.  This
was a pristine 6.2 RELEASE install without xorg, followed by a cvsup and
the make install clean in the xorg meta port.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst