Network storage

Jack Barnett jackbarnett at gmail.com
Fri May 25 05:52:08 UTC 2007

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What options do I have of using a network storage device such as Buffalo
> TeraStation? I can access it from Windows via network share or via FTP
> protocol. How can I access this device from FreeBSD? TeraStation is on the
> same LAN as FBSD machine. I would like to use TeraStation for backup
> purposes as the drives there can hold lots of data. I know I can use FTP
> but then how would you go about backup? Do backups on the local FBSD drive
> and then have some kind of script/software (what kind of?) to copy it via
> FTP to TeraStation?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

Hi.  Yes you can automate ftp transactions.
Here is one article:
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/printerfriendly.asp?p=170517&rl=1
I only skimmed that article, but it looks good.  A google search is sure
to turn up more.

I would suggestion against ftp if possible.  Scp (or "sftp") is cp/ftp
over a "secure" (SSH) connection which allows for encrypt of passwords
and/or files.  This too can be automated - provided that your network
storage device allows SSH connections.

Also - using smbmount or smbclient (part of the samba package/port); you
can use these to access the "Windows" share on the network storage
device.  If I remember correctly though, the Windows protocol doesn't
encrypt the information, which is as bad as ftp - since the hackers can
steal all your passwords, information and files!

-J