Can't Figure out What I Did to Our Environment FreeBSD6.2.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed May 23 20:31:27 UTC 2007

	I discovered that the "file" utility works for some
accounts on a new FreeBSD system but not others.  When it
doesn't work, the response is:

file: could not find any magic files!

	If I am su'd to root, me, or any of several other
accounts on the system, I get that same error.  Still other user
ID's in the same class can use file just fine.

	The /etc/profile file is used to develop the users'
paths so most of them are the same plus added local paths if
someone has $HOME/bin or $HOME/etc.

	Any other suggestions at what I should look at?  This is
one of those dumb things that is driving me crazy today.:-)  All
I know is I probably caused this but I am at a loss as to how.

	The man page for file says that MAGIC can be set to the
location of one of the .mgc files.  None of the accounts that do
correctly use file have this variable set.  At least you don't
see it in the output of env.

	Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer