Ports Confusion - some errors

Peter Pluta peter at placidpublishing.net
Wed May 23 20:05:49 UTC 2007

I recently got an email from portsnap that I have 30 or so ports to update. I
did my usual logged in, looked at the ports that needed updating, and went
ahead and updated them with portsupgrade -arR. This caused many problems
because I had the xorg-libraries installed that needed updating. I screwed a
lot of other ports and deps in the process, but this was a good thing. I got
some help from a friend and cleaned out maybe 20-30 useless ports that I
didn't need, including the xorg libraries - which I no longer had a use for.
I had them from an old maia-mailguard install. I also read the
/usr/ports/UPDATING file and realized there were specific instructions for
the xorg stuff, which I didn't follow. So anyway, my question is.

What is the best thing to do in a situation like that when you have many dep
erors and such? For example I have a dep that wasn't found by pkgdb -F
"stale dependency dovecot 1.0.0 <-- postfix x.x.x.x" was one of them. I
tried to rebuild the package db a few times, but it didn't work. I
eventually had to reinstall dovecot and postfix. Is this normal?

All in all, this message is more of a story then a question, but I thought
i'd still ask about the stale deps even though I made many mistakes that
most likely were the cause of them in the first place.