[freebsd-questions] Can't build php5? - Builds now, but doesn't work due to gd.so

Patrick Baldwin Patrick.Baldwin at studsvikscandpower.com
Tue May 22 19:00:51 UTC 2007

Beech Rintoul wrote:

 >> I found a mirror with a good checksum. Download and put
 >> in /usr/ports/distfiles then rebuild.
 >>
 >>  http://critical.ch/distfiles/suhosin-patch-5.2.2-0.9.6.2.patch.gz
 >>
 >> Beech

I did what was suggested above.  All seemed to go well with the
rebuild.  Started Apache, and found it was still trying to download
PHP files, not run them.  Checked httpd-error.log, found:

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/local/lib/php/20
060613/gd.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/gd.so: Undefined symbol
&quot;gdImag
eCreateFromXpm&quot; in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/local/lib/php/20
060613/gd.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/gd.so: Undefined symbol
&quot;gdImag
eCreateFromXpm&quot; in Unknown on line 0
[Tue May 22 12:53:53 2007] [notice] Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) PHP/5.2.2 with
Suhosin-
Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue May 22 12:53:53 2007] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)

When I checked to verify that /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/gd.so existed,
I did find it:
webmail# pwd
/usr/local/lib/php/20060613
webmail# ls -asl g*
368 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  357948 May 22 12:26 gd.so

The log mentions the patch, so it looks like that installed fine. The
file is there, with the correct date, so it must have been built.

I tried dropping the error message into Google, but it didn't yield
anything that seemed to apply.

My first though was to rebuild, but I've done that twice now, once by
just rebuilding php5 and php5-extentions, and once trying portupgrade
-rR php5-2.2.  I re-read the docs on portupgrade, as far as I can
tell, my command line should have rebuilt everything php5 related
in my whole tree.

I'm really not sure where to go from here.  I guess I could try to
rebuild yet again, but repeating the same attempt at fixing over
and over seems rather pointless if I don't understand the underlying
problem.

Any help appreciated.

--
Patrick Baldwin