Mounting NTFS drive/partition

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Mar 31 08:56:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:54:13 +0200 " Ivan Zenzerovi? " <zenzof1 at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Ok, I think I understand, but tell me, is there any way I can read those
 > partitions from freebsd? If this helps, on that disk are no windows, there
 > are 3 ntfs partitions.
 >
 > Ivan
 >
 > On 3/30/07, Derek Ragona <derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote:
 > >
 > >  You are able to mount the primary partition, not the extended
 > > partitions.  This is a also a limitation mounting ms-dos fat drives.  The
 > > extended partitions are done differently and are outside the partition
 > > table.

I'm surprised if there's any problem mounting either msdosfs or ntfs
'drives' in 'extended partitions' nowadays?  There certainly wasn't in
FreeBSD 4.x, when I managed to get mount_hpfs going to salvage a number
of HPFS 'drives', all of which lived in the 'extended partition'.

The HPFS code (still in the source tree last I checked, but not compiled
by default) was written by Semen Ustimenko <semenu at FreeBSD.org>, who
also wrote the (then) NTFS code; the two shared lots of cut-n-paste.

It's true that information on this is a bit sketchy and harder to find,
but basically an 'extended partition' (in DOS parlance) uses one of the
four slices on a disk, for example let's say ad0s2, and the separate
'drives' that might appear as D:, E:, etc to DOS/'doze would be then
accessed as ad0s5, ad0s6 etc.

 > > At 07:58 AM 3/30/2007, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Ivan_Zenzerovi=E6?= wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I'm trying to mount an ntfs drive with mount_ntfs. Now, the system sees
 > > the
 > > second hard disk, but shows only one partition, ad1s1 wich is NTFS, but on
 > > that disk there are 3 ntfs partitions and the system doesn't see them. On
 > > windows they work fine.

Try mount_ntfs using ad1s5, ad1s6 and ad1s7 then, read-only for safety.

>From a 2004 fstab on one 4.10 system:
/dev/ad2s5              /hpfs           hpfs    ro,noauto       0     0

Cheers, Ian