ad0: TIMEOUT - Is my disk dying?

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:21:22 UTC 2007

On 30/03/07, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> Just thought I should point out that you can get errors like this if
> your disk drive *cable* is faulty or has wiggled loose.

Yes, I know these defects, but this is an IBM Laptop which doesn't has
a cable to connect the HDD to the mainboard. I just checked it as I
replaced the disk. ;-)

So the system is up and running again. Everything went really smooth:
I booted FreeBSIE, dumped all filesystem to a NFS share, replaced the
disk, formatted the new disk, and restored everything. Rebooted the
machine, and here we are. :-)

Thanks everybody for your advice and information.

BTW: If I understand smartmontools correctly the disks firmware
counted 67 r/w errors.