FreeBSD on IBM Blade HS21

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Fri Mar 30 12:22:54 UTC 2007

Nejc Škoberne wrote:

> Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
> lo0: bpf attached
> rr232x: no controller detecde.
> md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc0af6544
> probe64:umass-sim1:1:0:0): error 22
> probe64:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Unretryable Error
> probe65:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Retrying Command
> probe65:umass-sim2:2:0:0): error 22
> probe65:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Unretryable Error
> probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Request completed with CAM_REQ_CMP_ERR
> probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
> probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Request completed with CAM_REQ_CMP_ERR
> probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying Command

Sorry, I can't help you with these, try posting this information to
freebsd-stable list.

> After that, a reboot happened. The problem is, that I need 'umass'
> driver if I wan't to be able to read either USB disk or CDROM, since
> HS21 communicates with outer world only via USB and ethernet.

You can have a kernel without umass, but with uhid, ukbd, ums and other
USB device drivers. When you need to access a USB device (after boot)
you can just load the kernel module (umass.ko), wait the timeout and
continue using it. I think the embedded CD/DVD drive in the chassis
presents itself as a USB device so when you build a kernel without
umass, you won't be able to access it (until you load the kernel module,
of course).

> Or else, I will have to provide PXE boot environment (including the
> kernel without umass support) on my laptop and connect it via cross-over
> cable. Do you think this might work?

Yes, very likely.