FreeBSD on IBM Blade HS21

Nejc Škoberne nejc at skoberne.net
Fri Mar 30 12:08:42 UTC 2007

Hello,

> Ye, by installing the system with the timeout (i.e. just wait it out),
> then building a kernel without umass at the first opportunity.

Still no luck. Today, I tried waiting till the timeout expired, but what
happened was, that in the middle of probing, the machine got rebooted.
It was the same with FreeBSD 6.1 and FreeBSD 6.2. I was trying to boot
from the CD.

The last text on the console was (in verbose boot mode):

Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
lo0: bpf attached
rr232x: no controller detecde.
md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc0af6544
probe64:umass-sim1:1:0:0): error 22
probe64:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Unretryable Error
probe65:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Retrying Command
probe65:umass-sim2:2:0:0): error 22
probe65:umass-sim2:2:0:0): Unretryable Error
probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Request completed with CAM_REQ_CMP_ERR
probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Request completed with CAM_REQ_CMP_ERR
probe63:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying Command

After that, a reboot happened. The problem is, that I need 'umass'
driver if I wan't to be able to read either USB disk or CDROM, since
HS21 communicates with outer world only via USB and ethernet.

Any more ideas?

Or else, I will have to provide PXE boot environment (including the
kernel without umass support) on my laptop and connect it via cross-over
cable. Do you think this might work?

Thanks,
Nejc