samba and vista computers

Gerry Freymann lists at interpool.ca
Thu Mar 29 18:59:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:36:56 -0400
Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:30:40 -0400
>Gerald Freymann <gerry at interpool.ca> wrote:
>
>> Now that I have my nice new HP OfficeJet 5610 printer here, I'm
>> trying to print to it remotely (it's connected to my Vista Home
>> Premium computer).
>>
>> smbclient doesn't seen to want to co-operate.
>>
>> smbclient in free(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense
>> Abort trap: 6 (core dumped)
>>
>> I've got
>>
>> samba-3.0.23c_2,1
>> samba-libsmbclient-3.0.23c
>>
>> installed. Trying to use CUPS and APSFILTER. Not having any luck :-(
>
>Check the output of 'smbclient'. Make sure that samba can see your
>shared printer. See 'man smbclient' for further information.
>
>I am really surprised that apsfilter does not work. I have never had a
>problem with it printing to a remote printer on a Windows based machine.

 Yes, I've always had good luck with this configuration too.

 I believe the problem is Vista (Home Premium).

 I can list the resources on my old P3 XP machine just fine with

smbclient -L 192.168.0.104

 (it asks for a password, which I enter).

 When I try to list the shares on the Vista box:

===[root] /usr/local/share/apsfilter > smbclient -L 192.168.0.20
Password:
smbclient in free(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense
Abort trap: 6 (core dumped)

 and then I'm stuck :-(

 I had to hack the registry in the Vista machine in order for it to see
and use a share on my FreeBSD hard drive, and that works fine. But since
moving from XP to Vista, I can't seem to see or use any shares on the
Vista box from FreeBSD (and I have 6.2R now and the versions of samba
are noted above).

 I'm starting to look around samba.org but nothing is popping up just yet.

-gerry