How Write To Win Drive?

Stan Cooper soupercooper at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 22:19:35 UTC 2007

Eric writes:

> what kind of file system? fat or NTFS? I dont think you can write to
> NTFS drives from BSD can you, at least not without a port?
>
> see if this port helps:
>
> ntfsprogs
>
> More here:
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO-5.html76

Yes, Eric, you're right, it is an NTFS drive. Didn't know there was any other kind ;) I installed ntfsprogs and read the man, but couldn't find the command ntfsmount anywhere in my system! I'm not even sure that's the command I need, but where is it?!

I read the above page, and all I got out of it is this:

Driver allows to mount NTFS volumes under FreeBSD and NetBSD. We also support limited writing ability: you can write into not comressed files without holes, but you can't change the size of file yet. Write support was made to swap on NTFS volume.

So, apparently, there is "limited" write ability, but I have no idea what that means. Even when I try to copy a simple README file over, I can't. Seems like it's "really" limited in its write ability!

Tore writes:

> If it is FAT32, my best guess is that you do not have permisson to
> write.  In that case, log in as root, umount the drive, set new
> permissions, etc.

How do I find out if it's FAT32? I'm running XP. Also, what do you mean "set new permissions"? The permissions are set to "rw". Isn't that good enough?

Roland writes:
> How is the drive mounted? If you type "mount" does it show the drive to
> be mounted read-only?

I unmounted, typed "mount /win" and it just gave me a prompt. But the command I really need to use, if I understand correctly, is "mount_ntfs /dev/ad0s1 /win".
TIA,
Stan2

Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote: On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 06:02:57AM -0700, Stan Cooper wrote:
> Hi;
> I have a windoze drive set up in my fstab that I can access and read, but I can't write to it! The permissions are set "rw"...doesn't that mean read *and* write? I'm confused.

How is the drive mounted? If you type "mount" does it show the drive to
be mounted read-only?

Roland