Upgrade suggestion

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Mar 27 03:12:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 05:58:28PM -0700, youshi10 at u.washington.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, illoai at gmail.com wrote:

> >>Possibly, for a very busy program with multiple authors actively
> >>making changes.  Normally, projects accumulate such changes and only
> >>release point version updates perhaps every month or so, and most
> >>have updates available much less often than that.

> >>Portrevision bumps commonly happen when an underlying dependency
> >>changes; you generally don't get any changes to foo itself, unless
> >>the program version itself changes.

> >>There's an easier way: you can probably wait to rebuild ports until
> >>you see something listed in portaudit's output, or you know you want
> >>to update something being actively used to a specific known version
> >>that you need.
> >>

> >Of course, Gentoo's portage system does all of this.
> >Of course, Gentoo's portage system is a complete
> >labyrinth of configuration files scattered over countless
> >myriads (10^4) of subdirectories so that running a mixture
> >of Holy-and-Blessed Versions and "testing" versions
> >becomes a lovely game of tag combined with memory and
> >$10,000 Pyramid, only fewer bleached-white teeth.

	I've run several distros of Linux.  Ubuntu is (or *was*) my
	favorite; they're getting carried away.  ....(IMHO).

> >I think the addition of portaudit for such a huge (~17K ports!)
> >collection (and a much less strenuous upgrade cycle) is an
> >excellent idea.
> >
> >--
> >--
>
> Gentoo is a pain, but it's the only thing I can really run ("stable"-y) on
> my Core 2 Duo box right now (desktop). Not ready to go straight to -CURRENT
> on a desktop, quite yet.. I'll give it 6.2-RELEASE shot in a week.
>
> But anyhow, I do really like ports more, for all of its quirks.. it truly
> is a better (simpler) system to deal with, and as long as some of the stuff
> under the hood gets fixed soon, the better.

	For tuning things to your server, compiler, just the way you want
	it, yes.  I'm still building tests for g**-4.2, and will post
	something when I have anything solid.

> Oh, but you shouldn't really have to worry about upgrading stuff all the
> time Gary. There's no point in upgrading packages daily -- I used to do
> that in Gentoo and all it did was waste precious CPU cycles and reduce the
> life of my hard disk.
>
> Upgrades once to twice a week do just fine for many systems (unless you're
> purposely running LINT for the entire ports collection -- which doesn't
> exist quite yet :)..).

	Lint?!!  Good grief, I haven't touched that for years.  My
	trying-to-keep-current started when I had 6.2 firmly on my backup
	DNS server.  I figured it would be trivial to have _everything_
	current ... and ran smack into the consequences of complexity
	theory.  I'll chill out and use portaudit!  thanks, guys,

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix