Upgrade suggestion

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Mar 27 01:50:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 04:55:56PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >	Hi Folks,
> >
> >	Last night it struck me that one reason I constantly find new
> >	ports to upgrade is that with ~17K ports, if you're running one
> >	of the more common desktop managers and several popular apps,
> >	there are going to be at least a dozen minor tweaks every day.
>
> Possibly, for a very busy program with multiple authors actively
> making changes.  Normally, projects accumulate such changes and only
> release point version updates perhaps every month or so, and most
> have updates available much less often than that.
>
> >	E.g.:going from foo-1.6.7_2  to foo-1.6.7_3.
>
> Portrevision bumps commonly happen when an underlying dependency
> changes; you generally don't get any changes to foo itself, unless
> the program version itself changes.

	Mm-k.  I'm guessing that gettext was a good example.  That was
	one thing tht urged me on with being such a fanatic about keeping
	_everything_ current.    Over the years of doing mostly OS
	version upgrades I got lazy.   Things are really ok now...  There
	really are some bad jerks out there, but I'm locked down preet
	tight.  (Maybe it's time to relax a wee bit:)

> >        I used to run
> >	port[upgrade|manager] twice/week.  Was swamped; recently,
> >	upgrading things daily.   Since a lot of the wm ports take
> >	> 24 hours to build/re-build, I'm pretty much wedged.   Thus
> >	this suggestion  (for all port/package upgrade suites):
> >	have a flag, say 'u' for "urgent" when *foo*" goes from
> >	foo-1.6.7 to -1.6.8  or else when/if foo makes a critical
> >	fix.
>
> There's an easier way: you can probably wait to rebuild ports until
> you see something listed in portaudit's output, or you know you want
> to update something being actively used to a specific known version
> that you need.

	Good point.

	gary

--