log rotation recommendations

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sat Mar 24 18:12:19 UTC 2007

Hello,

Having recently moved from Linux (SuSE) to FreeBSD (6.2-p3) I'm
wondering what the recommended way of rotating logs (principally
postfix and apache).  I see that logrotate, with which I'm familiar,
is in ports.  I also see that there is a file /etc/newsyslog.conf,
but it looks like newsyslog(8) only knows about HUPping syslogd.

If there is no conventional "BSD way of doing this", I'll just
install logrotate and go with what I know, but I thought I would
check here first.

Thanks,

-j