help on picking an IMAP server

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Mar 22 17:30:44 UTC 2007

> > You must have been doing something wrong.  I have Dovecot in multiple
> > places and never had any trouble creating folders/subfolders.
> >
> > I use Maildir format for my mail store, for multiple reasons that you
> > can research via Google if you're curious.  Perhaps the Maildir support
> > is better than mbox.  If that's the case, you may want to consider
> > switching to Maildir -- there is at least one mbox -> Maildir conversion
> > utility out there.
>
> Hi Bill.
>
> I have Googled away and found lots of people who complain that they can't
> creat subfolders under dovecot. I havn't seen anyone's problem resolved
> in the theads. I have converted mbox to Maildir. I attempt to create
> a subfolder from within Outlook - no go. How are you creating
> the subfolders?

Personally, I use Sylpheed, and it just works fine without having to do
anything special.  I can verify that it works fine with Thunderbird,
Outlook Express, and SquirrelMail -- from first-hand experience.

I just talked to an associate who was having trouble creating folders
on a Dovecot server using Outlook.  He was also having a bunch of other
problems with Outlook, so he switched to Outlook Express instead of
trying to mess with the Dovecot server.  I suppose it's possible that
there's some compatibility problem between Outlook and Dovecot, but I
can't say for sure.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com