help on picking an IMAP server

Eric heli at mikestammer.com
Thu Mar 22 13:15:46 UTC 2007

David Banning wrote:
> I have been using imap-uw for some time but now I would like to
> have an imap server that can have subfolders. Out with imap-uw..
>
> I tried dovecot but I was unable to get it to create subfolders,
> although it seems some say you can, may people are having problems
> doing so, and I didn't like the fact that it changes the format of
> the folders from the mbox standard.
>
> So I tried cyrus-imap. It did allow me to create subfolders. Cyrus
> however seems like it is a system-wide program. Where with imap-uw
> and dovecot I could still keep my old non-imap mailboxes in tact
> cyrus wants seemingly to control everything, doing away with /var/mail
> and setting up it's own email format.
>
> So I guess I'm hoping to get an imap-uw like imap, but one where I
> can creat folders.
>
> any suggestions?

i vote for dovecot again! =)

I use maildir format. I tried a lot of imap servers and dovecot is the
easiest to setup and has a very small footprint.

I would start over with dovecot, maybe on a different port, using the
default config and maildir. get things working, then convert to maildir
across the board and change the port back.

I use dovecot with: horde+imp, thunderbird 1.5 and 2, and roundcube and
am able to create folders, etc without issue.

I switched over from courier a while ago. It worked well enough, but
dovecot works better for me.

Eric